Employers vs Maids

[Published on May 3, 1998]

HOW THEIR VIEWS DIFFER

Days off 
Maids: We want a day off every week.
Employers: They should get a day off only every fortnight.
Indonesian maids should not get any days off, as stipulated
in most of their contracts.

Having friends over 
Maids: We should be allowed to invite our pals over if we ask permission.
Employers: Absolutely not!

Living quarters 
Maids: We want our own room.
Employers: They have to make do with the living space available.

Car-washing 
Maids: Washing the car is the driver's job.
Employers: It is a domestic chore which they should do.



MAIDS' PET PEEVES

LAST-MINUTE ORDERS
"Sometimes, my employers tell me not to cook lunch because they
don't feel like eating. Then suddenly, everybody is hungry and
I have to cook a whole meal in 30 minutes!"





NO DAYS OFF
"I wish my employer would give me Sundays off
for me to rest and buy my personal things."



LITTLE TERRORS
"My former employer’s children used to pull my hair, hit me,
and run away when it was time to bathe. If I tried to scold them,
they told their parents and I got a scolding instead."




WASHING CARS
"I hate washing the car the most because I have to carry heavy buckets
of water down four storeys and the car is parked quite far away."



PUBLIC SCOLDING
"My employer scolds me very loudly, and in front of her guests.
Whenever they misplace something, I am the first to be blamed."